UAMS.EDU

The Children of UAMS

UAMS Library, Second Floor Gallery
July-August, 2013

Elysia Brookelyn A. Moorehead & Eric Bradford A. Moorehead
Gemma A. Moorehead, Grants Administrator, UAMS Finance Dept.

children_of_uams_artworks

Library Gallery Exhibit

The World through My Children’s Eyes
Growing up seeing poverty all around me made me want to create colorful drawings and paintings to light up everyone’s soul. This fascination of mine about making the world colorful and bright has carried through to my children’s love of art. That love can turn something sad that they see in their surroundings into something cheerful, bright and happy. My husband Eric and I along with our two children (Brad & Brooke) have been fortunate enough to visit many interesting places in the US and Asia, where their roots lie in their curiosity of how others live.
Please share your thoughts about my children’s artwork and contact me at twojunebirds@yahoo.com For any other information, email me at mooreheadgemmaa@uams.edu.

Mallory and Peyton Nail
Gretchen S. Sawyer, Centers for Children, COM Peds Foster Care, Lowell, AR

“To photograph people is to violate them, by seeing them as they never see themselves, by having knowledge of them that they can never have; it turns people into objects that can be symbolically possessed. Just as a camera is a sublimation of the gun, to photograph someone is a subliminal murder – a soft murder, appropriate to a sad, frightened time.”— Susan Sontag (On Photography).

Photography is one of those unique things that piques interest because it is able to concentrate the things that are only there for half of a second, things that sometimes people never stop to see. A photograph causes a person to see it and with that glance the photographer has the ability to instill a certain type of feeling, an opinion in them. Through photos I have found answers, but most of all, questions. In art I find a natural affinity, one that drives me to keep looking for different perspectives and uncommon views. Like the cat, curiosity has certainly gotten me, and satisfaction always brings me back for more. — Mallory Nail

These current works are only a glimpse of my journey as an artist. Though some of these may represent the high point of my skills at this time, I know that soon enough they will be sub-par to what more I can do one day. Looking back on my previous works shows me how far I’ve come, not only in my artistic skill, but also in my personal life. It helps me to look forward with great anticipation to how my skills will improve in the future. — Peyton Nail