Photographs of the UAMS Library Staff
January 4 – February 28, 2010
UAMS Library, Second Floor Gallery
For many years, library staff have hosted and admired the beautiful photographs displayed by The Arts of UAMS. Max Baker, chair of The Arts of UAMS Committee, invited the library staff to participate. We had a great response with 11 of our 35 library staff members displaying their favorite photographs in this exhibit. Photographs selected for this exhibit are mostly of our families, wildlife, and our vacations. It is great to share these experiences with one another and to reflect on the past. The magic of the camera is to capture a moment in time that
represents an era in one’s life.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette recognized two of the photographs as exceptional images of Arkansas by selecting them for inclusion in their book and CD-ROM Capture Arkansas. Belinda’s photograph of two classmates napping as they rode the bus home from a school field trip won a prize as one of the best ‘most loves of the everyday life category’ and was included in the print edition of the book. Dena’s photograph of a bright red cardinal in the snow was selected for inclusion on the CD-ROM accompanying the book.
Chrysanne’s photographs hold special interest because they were taken in 1999 with a Sony Mavica at less than 1MegaPixel (how far we have come!). This is the first time she has seen them in print.
- Mary Carson (Administrative Office) –Daughter Lila’s photographs of seagulls, eagle,
- and squirrel.
- Joanna Delavan (LRC) – Garvan Woodland Gardens (Hot Springs) scenes.
- Chrysanne Demirel (Circulation) – Flowers
- Barbara Graggs – (Circulation) – Daughter Daphyne Williams’ White Picket Fences and Trees in the Shades photographs
- Jan Hart (Assoc. Director) – Utah landscapes
- Libby Ingram (Circulation) – St. Francis of Assisi statue at the San Damiano Convent, Assisi, Italy.
- Shawn McGhee (Applications Manager) – His son Jareth’s teeth.
- Dena Plaisted (Document Access Services) – Cardinal in snow, Alfred Reagan House, Roaring Fork, TN (a.k.a. Sears Roebuck House), and Plumeria flowers, Hawaii.
- Belinda Vandergrift (ILL) – Classmates napping, family portraits.
- Rena Sheffer (Electronic Journals) – Ocean sunset, beachcombers, leaves in sunlight.
- Heather Smith (LRC, TRC) – Starting Gate at Oaklawn, daughter Makaela and future racehorse.
- Susan Steelman (Reference) – Dragon boats on Hawaiian beach, daughter Summer in the sunlight, sails at sunset.
We hope you enjoy the photographs and would like to thank you for your interest.
Photos from the reception