UAMS.EDU

Roger Rank Photography

December 8, 2008 – January 31, 2009

UAMS Library, Second-Floor Gallery

Roger G. Rank, Ph.D. Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology – A Few of My Favorite Pictures | I have always enjoyed photography from my first Kodak box camera to my current CanonRebel. As a young boy at a summer camp, I had the opportunity to spend some time in adarkroom and then proceeded to set up my own darkroom in the basement of our house, usingeverything possible to block out the light from the basement windows. I loved the smell ofthe chemicals which perhaps explains some of my eccentricities today. My uncle, Horace,encouraged me and gave me some old darkroom equipment and later gave me my first goodcamera, an old Leica Rangefinder, vintage 1940’s. This was a marvelous camera although I hadto use a light meter to determine exposures. This was not a bad thing because it forced me tolearn basic concepts of ƒ stop and shutter speed and the relationships between the two. Severalpictures in this exhibit were taken with this camera (Fall Sunset, Death Angel, and Early WinterMorning). Because it took me so long to set up a picture with that camera, my best friend alwaysteased me that if a bear were charging, I would be eaten long before I got the picture while hewould snap a picture with his simpler camera and be off and running. Regrettably, that camerawas stolen from my apartment during a break-in while I was in graduate school.

I have no specific philosophy with regard to photography nor any favorite themes or subjects,but I feel one can find interesting photographs everywhere, and have made a point to takepictures of many different things, as will be evident in viewing this exhibit. I have had theopportunity to travel a great deal, so many of my pictures double as tourist shots and memorypieces. However, some of my favorite pictures have been close to home and were taken at awhim such as in the picture of the crawfish or my dog, Cinder, perched in a fold-up chair duringmy son’s soccer game.

I always wanted to be a professional photographer, but my path carried me to an academicand research career in microbiology and immunology. Nevertheless, I still harbor the dream ofspending more time with photography when I grow up.

I am currently using a digital Canon Rebel with 18-55 mm, 75 – 300 mm, and 105 mm macrolenses, but have used in the past a Canon E2, Nikormat, and the above-mentioned LeicaRangefinder. If you have any questions about the pictures, my e-mail address is rankrogerg@uams.edu.

I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I did in taking them.